Spicy Beans and Rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 fresh green onions, chopped
- 1/2 (2 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a saucepan bring the water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour beans into a 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle with jalapenos, cumin, chili powder and black pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese, green onions and olives. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Serve beans over cooked rice.