- 2 3/4 cups water
- 3 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cups dry brown lentils
- 6 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) package sharp Cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, bring water and bouillon cubes to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 50 minutes, or until rice is tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Cook zucchini and onion until tender, but still slightly firm, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin, oregano, lentils, and about 6 cups water gradually. Bring to a soft boil, and continue cooking until lentils are tender, 45 to 60 minutes, adding water as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Mix the cooked rice together with the lentils, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in 3/4 of the Cheddar cheese, and transfer mixture into a 9×13 inch pan. Mix remaining cheese together with the breadcrumbs, and spread evenly over the top of the dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven just until cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.